Thursday, March 15, 2012

Leather shoes give me the blues







I have decided not to eat lamb anymore, even though it is one of the nicest meats, it is all in the name - 'lamb'. It is a baby and even if I wanted to, I'd feel so sick and sad if I tried to eat it anymore. I've also started to stop purchasing leather like its fine, and while I realise really no other material matches up to it's durability I am questioning all future leather purchases, where did it come from and what animal? I think it is about time I started being a responsible and educated buyer. I'm about complete on a design project that called upon the use of leather, which if I admit, would of made it beautiful, but it is not what I'm about anymore and I made use of a different material that was the perfect substitute and I could feel good about my choice. I've also recently developed sensitive skin and I'm currently in the process of looking for a good moisturiser that isn't animal tested, if you have any suggestions that would be great. 

Everyone is talking about 'being green' and saving the environment, and I agree it is pretty important. There is large corporations that are making steps towards being sustainable. It is in fashion. However, what about actual live stock, things with hearts and minds. Animals rights has always been associated with raging lunatics throwing red paint, and I don't think that should deter people from being open about their choices regarding animal products. Being against animal cruelty is not uncool. I'd hate to think of any of my babies suffering horrible fates and the reality is that many animals do. I recently heard on the radio that workers at a Sydney abattoir were charged with animal cruelty for brutally bashing pigs with metal rods, but then as they had 'learnt their lesson' were allowed to continue their work. I can't tell you on how many levels this upsets and angers me. They clearly should not be in such a profession. I won't lie and say I am fully educated on the facts of animal cruelty or methods of leather etc -  I cannot face looking up all the stories and details because I'd be depressed for eternity, but it is a no-brainer on what happens and how one can help.  I am no where near where I want to be, but I am starting.  I have heard about Stella McCartney doing an Animal-Friendly line and initiatives like this should continue. I really hope one day there is an accessible alternative to leather and everyone can embrace it.  (Don't get me started on fur or I will start throwing red paint)






No comments:

Post a Comment