Friday, May 3, 2013

April IMN

Belated, but not by much. 

1. Lore


A German/Australian film set during and after WWII. I watched this on the plane home from Japan. I don't think the airplane screen did it justice - I might watch it again in a HD. This film was extraordinarly beautiful - shot in lush German countryside. It tells the story of young Lore and her siblings who must trek across Germany to their grandmother's house for refuge. The heavy subject matter, which I would normally find extremely grim, was made vivid by great cinematography and acting from the young Saskia Rosendahl (Lore).  I could feel the Australian drama influence from the honest and heartbreaking depictions of life that I love so much from things like Love My Way and Candy.


Originally thinking these images were the result of Photoshop filters and photography -  I was surprised to find out they are all painted portraits. Love it!




3. Kim Boske

I deliberated in my mind for ages whether I should or should not of bought a book featuring Kim Boske's photography in Harajuku, Tokyo. I ended up going back to the store and buying it. I am really glad - it is so beautiful and exactly the type of photography I love. Weird, weird nature. All photographs in my book are printed in large format on great paper stock!





I returned from Japan a couple of days ago - when I have time to edit, I will post some photos from my travels. Enjoy your weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment